|"Satan instructs the Anti-Christ" from "Sermon and Deeds of the Antichrist" by Lucas Signorelli, A.D. 1502|
Out of all the antichrists in the world, one is referred to specifically in the Bible as THE Antichrist. (1 Jo. 2:18; and 2 Th. 2:1-12) The “marks” or signs by which we can recognize and identify this Antichrist are listed especially the Second Thessalonians passages:
- The Antichrist causes a rebellion against Biblical truth (verse 3).
- This rebellion leads to sin and a great “falling away” from the pure Gospel faith (also verse 3).
- The Antichrist claims divine authority in all earthly affairs (verse 4).
- The Antichrist sets himself up as supreme in the entire visible church on earth (also verse 4).
- The Antichrist looks holy and good and seems to be doing God’s work. (still verse 4).
Therefore, the conclusion is clear and inescapable – the institution or office of the Roman Papacy is indeed The Very Antichrist spoken of in the Bible. This does not mean that any particular individual Pope is the Antichrist, or even an antichrist in the wider sense of the term, or that these men cannot also be Christian believers and thus saved and in heaven with God for eternity.
Rev. Steven Spencer